Al's Photography Blog

Al's Photography Blog
Pikes Peak As Seen From Our House

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Scenic Sunday - Red Rock Canyon

We had a beautiful day today, so I took the dog and we went for a hike in a local park, Red Rock Canyon. I figured this might make a good set of pictures as my first Scenic Sunday post. Hopefully there will be plenty of time for hiking in the next few months as the weather starts to warm up.

Pikes Peak still has some snow, and may get plenty more in the coming week. This photo is taken from the beginning of the trail, right next to the parking lot. The higher-altitude trails would still be very challenging.
The trail winds through rocks and grass, in places right next to some very large rocks.
The rocks are beautifully-colored sandstone. They show up better in the early morning light but I couldn't get out early enough for that today, maybe another time.
One of the trails winds through an old quarry.
This set of stairs leads up a steep rock face into the quarry; there's a better trail that switchbacks for those who are more timid.
Finally, there's a small lake formed behind a dam, which didn't have a lot of water today.
For more scenic shots from around the world, visit Scenic Sunday by clicking the image below.
Scenic Sunday

9 comments:

  1. Amazing photos - I especially like the second. They remind me of the West Macdonnell Ranges near Alice Springs.
    Thanks for visiting my blog and your kind words - they are always appreciated.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Cheers.
    Melbourne Daily Photo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we had been able to spend more time exploring Red Rock Canyon when I lived in the Springs. Sigh. At least I can enjoy it through your eyes now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great blue sky and red rocks! nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos! Amazing rock formation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a really interesting and colorful hike! Thanks for the tour...

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow that's such a beautiful place, i would love to go there!
    have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even rocks can be so interesting in terms of colors and shapes :) Nice

    ReplyDelete
  8. simply beautiful. makes me want to visit :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment - I love reading them and look forward to viewing your blog. If you only allow Google+ comments I won't be able to leave a comment in return.

Related Posts with Thumbnails